You are Here:
[S-PUB] Events - Sign-up's, Galaxy Map and Appendices

Users currently browsing this topic:

Author (Read 1796 times)

[S-PUB] Events - Sign-up's, Galaxy Map and Appendices
« on: April 30, 2019, 06:54:31 AM »

shin

• View Profile

Welcome, to the [S-PUB] Bearforce 2 Event's thread. Here you will be able to find all the information about the on-going Galactic War and the next planned battles, incursions and sorties. The concept is simple; for the next six months players will compete every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night in large, public events. Clans and players will have the opportunity to pledge themselves to a side of the Force - each event deciding the gain or loss of territory on the map. Players will not individually be able to hold Planets or Strongholds, however, they can assist a clan of the same alignment during events with no restrictions. During these events the stakes will be laid out prior to starting and the full rule-list can be found below for Conquest events.

Appendix A, RULES:

1 General Behaviour
* No derogatory or discriminatory remarks based on ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, nationality or gender.
Racist terms cannot at any point be used within the BNS community area. These forums are home to people of different ethnicity, religion, nationality, gender. If caught breaking this rule on the forums you will firstly receive a warning, any continuation will result in stronger punishments.
* No trolling, flaming or insults on a personal level:

2 Event Specific
* Admin instructions must be followed in regards to team placement and class limits.
* Clans and players must compete with their chosen side of the War unless instructed otherwise. (for balance purposes, win/loss will still give the same benefits)
* Any exploits, glitches or third-party modifications will result in an immediate and permanent ban.

Appendix B, SIGN-UPS:
Clan Signup:

Clan Name: [S-PUB]
Clan Leader: shin (https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198017732104/)
Chosen side of the Force: Dark
Will this clan hold territory or only assist?: Will hold territory
Player Signup:

Player Name: shin (https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198017732104/)
Do you have a chosen Clan to assist in taking territory?: Yes/No/I have chosen [S-PUB]

Appendix C, TIMETABLE:

Monday: Nothing Scheduled
Tuesday: 8PM GMT S-PUB Community Event - Conquest, see below for Galaxy Map, guaranteed to effect territory
Wednesday: 8PM GMT S-PUB Community Event - Battle, no class restrictions, see below for Galaxy Map, may effect territory
Thursday: 8PM GMT S-PUB Community Event - Minigames, KOTH/CTF - will not affect Galaxy Map
Friday: 8PM GMT BNS Community Event - Battle, class restrictions - will not affect Galaxy Map
Saturday: 8PM GMT BNS Community Event - Battle, class restrictions - will not affect Galaxy Map
Sunday: 8PM GMT BNS Community Event - Battle, class restrictions - will not affect Galaxy Map

Appendix D, THE FORCE:

Choose wisely as once your side has been chosen you will be committed for the entirety of this Galactic Conquest season.

Clans: [S-PUB]
           [81st]
           [91stRC]
           [501stCTL] (Mandalorians)
Players:

Clans: [LegionII]
           [SnailShell]

Players: Funky

Appendix E, GALAXY MAP:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:10:10 PM by Marko »

Re: [S-PUB] Events - Sign-up's, Galaxy Map and Appendices
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 10:29:30 AM »

Cleric

Clan Name: 81st
Clan Leader: Cleric https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198095760285/

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 12:45:47 PM »

Ianitori

• View Profile
So clans can either Hold territory or Only assist, whats the difference?

Gonna rephrase that, won't you still fight in the battle whether your clan chose to hold or assist ?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 12:48:15 PM by Ianitori »

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 01:50:54 PM »

shin

• View Profile
So clans can either Hold territory or Only assist, whats the difference?

Gonna rephrase that, won't you still fight in the battle whether your clan chose to hold or assist ?

Absolutely, either way you can play in the battle. Clans can be placed independently on the map, or they can choose to assist one another and form coalitions.

Clan Name: 81st
Clan Leader: Cleric https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198095760285/

Signed on!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 09:17:18 AM by shin »

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 06:03:31 PM »

Silas42

• View Profile
How are the events gonna be balanced, or are the teams just made up of however many show up on the day?
Squidsworth

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 06:53:32 PM »

shin

• View Profile
How are the events gonna be balanced, or are the teams just made up of however many show up on the day?

Clans and players can choose to pledge themselves specifically to one side during the Galactic Conquest. Unbalanced battles in terms of numbers are likely, if not expected, to happen - this is offset by a victory won with less players proportionately being worth more than a victory with even players. Essentially if you're fighting for the losing side, your losses don't hurt as bad and your wins get you a lot more progress on the map.

If I feel like the events are too lop-sided I will simply move a clan over to the other team for that event and still credit them, victory or loss, as they should have been. Hope that clears it up a bit.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 07:19:07 PM »

Silas42

• View Profile
Fair enough, makes sense.

Unbalanced battles in terms of numbers are likely, if not expected, to happen - this is offset by a victory won with less players proportionately being worth more than a victory with even players.

How are you going to make a victory won with fewer players be worth proportionally more? Is there a points system within each territory or like a percentage of territory won/lost with each event?
Squidsworth

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 08:18:09 PM »

Elwaen

Clan Signup:

Clan Name: [LegionII]
Clan Leader: Elwaen ( newbielink:https://steamcommunity.com/id/elwaen/ [nonactive])
Vince ( newbielink:https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198163255916/ [nonactive] )
Korift( newbielink:https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198169085670/ [nonactive] )

Chosen side of the Force: Light

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 07:50:16 AM »

shin

• View Profile
How are you going to make a victory won with fewer players be worth proportionally more? Is there a points system within each territory or like a percentage of territory won/lost with each event?

A Conquest event victory gains 'Capital' air-space which revolves around the planets with yellow borders. Incursions, battles or small scale assaults will result in non-capital air-space being procured.
We'll be seeing a lot of independent groups, players and smaller factions very quickly 'blob' up on the map - once there are enough 'blobs' there will be events that are more specific to battling over specific airspace such as Endor, Hoth and Mustafar which are likely to be some of the main battlegrounds over the course of the Galactic Conquest. Later on there may be bonuses that can be gained from holding specific territory but the actual in-game functionality I still want to get right first, an advantage or disadvantage too major could be anti-fun.

We're going to play it by ear in regards to how much the proportion will be as being heavily outnumbered sucks enough that we're going to try and avoid that in the first place. Once I have a statistician on board it will be much more rigid and likely a simple % points based system wherein if you have half the players a win is worth twice as much.

Clan Signup:

Clan Name: [LegionII]
Clan Leader: Elwaen (https://steamcommunity.com/id/elwaen/)
Vince ( https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198163255916/ )
Korift( https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198169085670/ )

Signed on!

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 08:41:10 AM »

Silas42

• View Profile
Clan Signup:

Clan Name: SnailShell
Clan Leader: Silas42 (https://steamcommunity.com/id/silas42/)
Squidsworth

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 08:57:01 AM »

shin

• View Profile
Clan Signup:

Clan Name: SnailShell
Clan Leader: Silas42 (https://steamcommunity.com/id/silas42/)

Signed on!

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 03:04:05 PM »

Akreal

• View Profile
Clan Name: 91st Recon Corps
Clan Leader: Akreal (https://steamcommunity.com/id/Akreal/)

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 04:22:00 PM »

shin

• View Profile
Clan Name: 91st Recon Corps
Clan Leader: Akreal (https://steamcommunity.com/id/Akreal/)

Signed on! I'll fix the map colour for you when I do the next territory update in the morning after tonight's event.

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 10:03:19 PM »

Marko

• Executive
Okay, this will be a slightly longer post to put all my thoughts about the Galactic Campaign in.

About this week's events
The Wednesday one was very enjoyable and very even in terms of factions and score. Good maps, good atmosphere.

The Tuesday one was a bit worse mostly due to novelty of admin tools available, so that should not be a problem onwards. Now with the increased night brightness/less chance of night spawning, I do think the maps for Conquest should at least have some visibility standard. On the 2nd(Ryloth) map the factions were Rebels - Sith Empire, I think they should always be paired up in their canon equivalents.

All in all not a bad start especially considering it was Tuesday and Wednesday, thanks for the effort into hosting this.

The event series in general

I think everyone's starting to realise - this has a lot of potential. Not just potential to bring some people together for an event, but rather the potential to grow to significant player numbers and become something that this mod is recognisable for on all of Warband. Here are my suggestions and concerns.

Comparison to Calradic Campaign
Currently the format is a mix between the pub oriented format and the cRPG Strategus. As all of you are aware, we don't have the web infrastructure to support something like Strategus available. What the Calradic Campaign does really well is in just how easy it is to attract 200 players to it. You just jump into the server, join either faction and that's it - you're now playing. There are standard divisions of people across factions on Discord roles but in the end it is completely irrelevant. It allows for much more balanced events(you just turn on autobalance as it's not important who's on which team).

However, the CC does not have a clan community like Bear Force. The current compromise of clans filling up teams seems to work fairly well but it's difficult to predict how this will affect event balance in the long run. We do need to cater to our clans as well but maybe there is a better solution for this.

Unbalanced battles in terms of numbers are likely, if not expected, to happen - this is offset by a victory won with less players proportionately being worth more than a victory with even players. Essentially if you're fighting for the losing side, your losses don't hurt as bad and your wins get you a lot more progress on the map.

This goes hand in hand with what I wrote above. While 'winning' the campaign or painting a meta map might be fun, I am sure it's more important to everyone that the actual events are balanced and fun. Suffering an absolute stomp because of imbalance in literal player counts and not skill is very frustrating and for me it would not matter at all what offset for map painting we got when an hour was wasted on a frustrating event.

tl;dr - In-game balance > other aspects

The Galactic Map
I know you said the current one is just a placeholder, I'll just recapitulate that and add some of my own thoughts. It should be high priority to find an artist to create and update a galactic map for us. Maybe you can ask your former Calradic Roleplay friends. If not, I'll ask around the modding community.

The galactic map should be much simpler(lot of irrelevant information and clutter on current one). My idea is to e.g. add all the planets we have in the mod onto it, and then later you can paint further planets if necessary. There should be planets, and the airspace sector they cover. One colour for each side(Light/Dark) and just writing the clan name to which planet/sector they hold. Examples:
Spoiler: ShowHide

tl;dr - Finding a dedicated cartographer, good map is key to good and fun meta.

Naming Convention
The series currently has Tuesday as the main Conquest day, and Wednesday as 'Incursions'. In the later after action reports and generally speaking about the campaign, I propose the main event(that is now on Tuesday) should be referred to as a battle(e.g. we just had the 'First Battle of Endor'), and the smaller Wednesday ones to be called either incursions, skirmishes or both and have them referred that way. It also goes nicely together since battles(Tuesday happenings) influence much more on the map. I also hope sometime once this expands we can include siege, all the decent maps require a bit more people than we currently have though.

The AARs/Lore
I'll put up an ad on some writer communities I know of to try and find someone who'd write about the various happenings in the Galactic Conquest. A brief report after each Battle/Skirmish/Siege, accompanied with a short story, casualty report and some screenshots all including the participants. This is something we can gradually start working on and expanding once we have dedicated people for it. I think it'd give all the involved clans and prominent community folks more incentive to participate when it has effect.

Conquest Maps
This was now put on the highest priority for the mod sceners. 5 medium sized battle maps will be converted to Conquest and we'll be getting new ones.

A lot of these are ideas that can be gradually added as the event series grows and gains traction. We'll need to look for dedicated people to do some of this stuff but that goes together with growth of the events.

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 06:13:51 AM »

shin

• View Profile
Thank you for saying thank you, I'll respond bit by bit:

• Definitely correct about matching factions and that will be consistent throughout the rest of the campaign. Great shout.
  • Balance (of skill) is going to be something that is going to be difficult to hold down over the course of the event; I was hoping that over the course of the GC that the 'losing' side would gain more supporters/players as fighting from the back foot in a 'Grand' campaign can often feel like a much more satisfying victory. I think we will see a sway in the winning side from Dark to Light and back routinely over the event. In-so far we've seen Light play extremely well (Tuesday) and lose while being ahead with a 0-3 lead (Wednesday) - which suggests to me that the Clan members that join and Public players that join has a stronger effect on the balance than pure numbers (however pure numbers still has an effect). I wasn't paying 100% attention to playercounts though so correct me if I am wrong please. That being said; if the teams appear unbalanced we can run with autobalance enabled and simply reward teams by their chosen side in this thread.
  • Ensuring a balance of player counts over the coming weeks will be a priority; that's a fair enough point.
  • I would love for an artist to take over the GC Map - I've contacted already some of the artists who I have worked with in the Warband scene before however I am unable to commission work due to my real life finances. I originally used that image of the Stellaris 'Bubbles' to show what I would like an artist to achieve for us, any help you can offer in this regard would be great. I'd happily replace my ghetto map.
  • The idea behind Conquest and Battle/Incursions was that Conquest feels like a much larger scale battle due to the respawns, the tickets and the flag control mini-game. It therefore made sense to me that the Tuesday Conquest was the 'Main assault' on the planet, region or world and that following up from that victory or loss was a smaller scale battle or 'Incursion' which I like to use to describe an elite squadron moving in on key targets such as space ships, Jedi Temples, that one map that contains the Archives etc etc. I had thought this was a bit of flavour consistency that would make sense over the course of the event. Big battle -> Little battle.
  • Lore would be excellent and if I had more creative blood in my veins I'd have done it myself already. Definitely on the agenda. It would be great to have the lore posts cross-posted to Reddit and the S-PUB Event's thread on Guildhall to give them both traction on the front pages and therefore attract more players. Along the vein of your casualty reports, I would love someone capable of mimicking YamiPirate's (excellent) WNL stat's with major changes to make it relevant and engaging for Bearforce 2.
  • The new maps will be welcomed happily! As you say, as the events grow so will the staff involved; any cooperation to make this better is great by me.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 09:35:46 AM by shin »